Friday, September 30, 2011

A Quickie


This is just a quick post.  I am enjoying having extra free time in my life, doing more recreational reading (and I always read a lot).  I am most of the way through Oliver Sack's The Mind's Eye.  I have always appreciated his books for their keen observation and deep compassion.  In one chapter of this recent book, he describes vividly his experience with a melanoma in his right eye.  He explains that such melanomas seldom spread and kill, but often result in the loss of sight in the eye.  I was struck by the following, midway through the chapter:

Having cancer, any cancer, means an instant change in status, in one's life.  The diagnosis is a threshold beyond which lies a lifetime, however long, of tests, treatments, and vigilance -- and always, whether conscious or unconscious, a sense of reservation about the future.

Others who have been at this longer than I may have a different viewpoint, but this struck me as very true.

No comments: