Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Quick Update

Back at MSKCC yesterday.  Liver enzymes better, but still level 2; were level 3.  If they get back to level 1 by next week, we will restart the Everolimus, but at a lower dose at first.  For my chemist friends, they seem to care about ALT (alanine aminotransferase): supposed to be 5 to 37, mine was 282, back to 150, and AST (aspartate aminotransferase): supposed to be 10 to 37, mine was 263, back to 63.  If that goes well, we can slowly try adding the other possible culprits one by one (Tylenol, alcohol, Lipitor).  So I am adjusting to being a teetotaler.

Lab test results are posted for patients on the MSKCC web site.  TMI?  Need I really know that my LDH was way up yesterday, and no one seemed concerned?  Is my hemoglobin falling because of the heparin?  Should I be concerned that LDL-cholesterol is up without Lipitor?  Should I be asking my oncologist about these, or simply assume that he sees what is important?  It is the era of the informed patient, even when that information is pretty abstruse.  I am a chemist, so I know what these molecules are, but I have no idea which ones matter most.

A couple of people have had problems making comments on the blog.  I have changed the settings and I think it is OK now.  Please send me an e-mail if you have difficulties.

2 comments:

Giny said...

Sorting the avalanche of information...if challenging for you, what hope for the rest of us...Hoping for level 1 for you...

Allison Kurian said...

Let me know if you would ever like to discuss - happy to interpret lab values from a clinical perspective, if useful