Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The next stage

Hello to my blog followers.  I apologize that my last post was brief and pretty harsh, and that it has been a while since I posted.  As you may have guessed, it has been a tough time.

I had scans last week and saw Motzer today.  The news is again not good.  While the tumors in some areas (vena cava, retroperitoneal) have not expanded, those in the pelvic area have grown. All along we have known that it is a aggressive tumor type.  fyi: these tumors are all in lymph nodes, the organs themselves are not involved, except in that the tumors can put quite severe pressure on the organs.

After my last blog, in which I said that Motzer had suggested that chemo options were pretty much exhausted, he has now suggested a new one.  When pressed,  he admits that it's efficacy is a long shot.  But he explained that many patients benefit from feeling that they are trying something.  My thinking for now is to postpone this. I am still working with the pain clinic to try to find a good balance of pain drugs, and am reluctant to introduce a new set of possible side effects. My current plan is to wait until after Barnard's graduation and perhaps try something then.  Or maybe not.

I am mostly home, and would welcome visits, if you are nearby. But please call first.  I sleep a lot.

7 comments:

Sumner said...

Hang in there, Sally. You're in our thoughts and prayers.
/Sumner and Corinne

ktrahanov said...

We were very sorry to hear about your illness from Cathy Nelson at the San Diego ACS meeting and have thought about you often since then. You did a lot of good work on CPT. We hope things go as well as possible with your treatments. Best wishes from Kathy and Walt from Iowa.

Lindsay said...

We are all thinking of you.

Lindsay, Charlie, Jack

Dorothy Flint said...

I hope you can truly enjoy graduation and drink in how much you are admired, respected, and appreciated. I love you very much, and I'm coming up to see u soon. I will call first!

Allison Kurian said...

Sending love and good wishes from Thomas, Sean and me - if I can help in any way, at any time, please let me know.

Hannah said...

Thinking of you and hoping you can get the pain meds figured out.

Sasha R said...

Hi Dr. Chapman,

Xiao, Shenjuti and I would like to visit you on May 18, after 530pm. Would that be possible? I'm sorry to not call, but I don't have your number.